Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blog-worthy?


At last weeks Tuesday SnB , which consisted of Sonya and myself, we started discussing my current projects. I told her what I was working on and she said, "Why haven't you posted it on your blog?" I guess I feel like I have to have something newsworthy and outstanding to post. My knitting of late consists of some pretty basic accessories. A pair of mittens and a hat using Cascade 220 wool and a grey 2x2 rib hat using Berrocco Ultra Alpaca.
When I started knitting again I think that I went a little color and yarn crazy. I made a lot of things that were wearable but none of it really matching or fitting in to any sort of color scheme. My focus of late is to work on some pieces that actually match my winter coat and can be paired with something more colorful without having a mish mash of styles. I finished these over the last couple of weeks and have been wearing them (hence some of the fuzz on the mittens), but wasn't sure if they were "blog-worthy.


I have also been working on learning to knit continental and combination style. I always hear about how much easier and faster they are etc. I started a 2x2 rib hat in the round using the continental method. I am having a hard time with holding the yarn and keeping my tension so I am less that thrilled with the look of the finished stitches. Although for stockinette in the round it seems to work well as it is just straight knit stitches. I switched over to the combined method that Annie Modesitt uses and found it easier to keep my tension and the stitches seem more uniform but the gauge of the fabric is a lot tighter and the stitches seem to have a different look. The picture shows my continental efforts to the right side and the combined towards the left. Can you see the difference. Any advice ?



As for other goings on, the kitchen remodeling project is coming together. Here's the tile being grouted in. So far the sink, counter tops, most of the tile and half of the cabinets are painted. The boys have been over here all weekend, working their butts off and they are coming again in the morning to get started with tiling the dining room. The new stove and dishwasher are here but are not yet installed. It's all starting to come together I figure another week or two and then it'll come down to wrapping up the fine details like window treatments etc.

11 comments:

Shorty said...

I can't speak for everyone here in the world wide web, but I love seeing each and every project my friends are doing. The hat you had on Tuesday gave me a great ideas for quick end of season gifts for family and friends.

Thanks for sharing.

Sonya

Batty said...

Yes, we want to see every little project you finish. That's why we look at your blog!

Kitchen remodeling is a PITA, but it's also so worth it!

Amy said...

It's always blog-worthy, baby! I'm hoping to actually make it out this week (stupid germs)- seems like I haven't seen you in ages!

Knittinreed said...

Yuppers- I am in agreement with shorty, batty and amy. Show us, show us!!

I *really* like the tile. I know you will be thrilled with the redo. New kitchens are fabulous. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for your comments about ribbing vs. stockinette. I often knit socks with lacey patterns that go across the foot, and I am just knitting this "off the cuff" (pardon the pun) with no particular pattern so it is more of a mystery to me! I am currently turning heels, so no decision until tonight...

Anonymous said...

Hello????!!! Those are blog-worthy and you are using new techinques - also, blog-worthy. Remodeling? Blog-worthy!

amanda j said...

I like seeing whatever people are doing! Post on I say. Your kitchen is looking fabulous.

schrodinger said...

I like seeing all people's projects too, great to see what other knitters are up to.

I've never tried combination knitting. I had a quick look at the site and am a little confused by it, the knit stitch looks like a twisted knit, hmmmm, can't say I can give any advice, I'm pretty happy with continental myself.

Dana said...

Hey there, share everything, we'll read about it!! I've tried the combo method per AM also, and ended up frogging. I was making a hat and it came out really stiff, so maybe it was my choice of yarn or something. Good luck on yours.

AR said...

I love all of the 'little' projects, too. If I didn't, I wouldn't have any thing to blog about!

Ooh, lucky you, I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

Cathy said...

I love seeing your projects and reading your posts - Good luck with the kitchen! We are doing ours too, what a mess!

Mauren Mureaux said...

Gasp! Not blog worthy?!!

Anything you're working on is blog worthy! And we readers demand to hear about them. Some of us are knitting stalkers, ya know! ;)

~Suz~